Last second shot lifts Presque Isle past Caribou

Gan Curtis ’26 wins it for the Wildcats on a miraculous shot

Lenora Curtis

The PIHS student section looks in suspense as Gan Curtis ’26 puts up the winning shot on Tuesday, January 3 at Caribou.

Max Graves, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, January 3,  the varsity girls basketball team prevailed over a fierce and young Caribou team. In a game of runs that saw Presque Isle start off quickly getting off to a 9-0 run leaving Caribou players and their fans in shock. Caribou fans had no doubt that their team would make their way back in it, which they did.

The game would go back and forth for much of the game. Caribou took a 21-16 lead going into halftime. Presque Isle grabbed the lead back to take a 32-28 lead heading into the fourth quarter. In the fourth both teams would go end to end trading baskets.

Ultimately, freshman Gan Curtis stepped up for the Wildcats. With under seven seconds left she dribbled the ball up the court, took it to her right and banked in a three-point shot to secure the win for the team. “Gan took the ball down the court and made it and the tears started streaming again but it was tears of joy this time instead of me being upset,” Rossalyn Buck ’23 said. “I’d say we were pretty excited after the game  – to put it lightly.”

The Wildcats next game comes at home on January 7 at 3 against Washington Academy.

Video provided by WHOU.live