Presque Isle gets Unified

Maddy Waugh

The Presque Isle Unified Basketball team poses for a team photo during the game on February 28.

Ethan Dionne, Staff Writer

On February 28, Presque Isle High School played a historic first unified basketball game. The  Wildcats hosted Houlton in the lower gym. The game consisted of two twenty minute halves, and at times the game was close. The final score was 78-55 with Presque Isle on top as the winners. 

Everyone seemed to have a great time, and each team had good sportsmanship.  This new program shows diversity and acceptance. “I think it is awesome to give another group of students the opportunity to participate in school activities, obviously basketball in this case,” Dave Bartlett, principal, said. “It’s also great to see the partners out there being so supportive. The smiles on everyone’s faces are proof of how successful it was, and I look forward to seeing more games.”

The team is coached by Carl Michaud. “It was an honor to be a part of the Presque Isle High School unified basketball team’s first game,” Michaud said. “My assistant coach, Denise Condon and I were extremely proud of the team members and how much they have grown as basketball players and as a team.  I believe that the creation of unified basketball will continue to create opportunities for students at Presque Isle High School to experience sportsmanship, develop leadership skills and play on a varsity basketball team.”