Winter Carnival in Full Swing at PIHS

Ethan Dionne

The four classes compete in musical chairs on the opening day of Winter Carnival 2023 competition on March 21.

Ethan Dionne, Staff Writer

The original Winter Carnival schedule is in full effect this year.

From dress up days to games within the school, to the semi-formal last Friday, there’s a lot going on outside the classrooms this time of year. If you want to see all of the events, check your email for schedule information. 

Main events such as Airband or Battle of the Bands are level one events. Level one events are worth the most points. The ones in middle-level scoring events include activities such as attendance at the semi-formal. Finally, the events worth the least points are the level three events. 

I asked class advisers Ms. Pinette (sophomores), Mrs. McPherson (juniors) and Mr. Powers (seniors) how they felt about Winter Carnival and their chances of winning. “The class of 2025 has worked hard so far this year and are coming into Winter Carnival with only 10 points between them and the seniors,” Pinette said. “I am proud of everything that they have done so far, they are hard workers and in my opinion they are strong contenders for The Jug.” 

The juniors’ adviser also feels confident. “I am extremely proud of my junior class and their ability to work together as a team. They are a fantastic group of students and I do believe they will win!!” McPherson said.

“The funny thing about this Winter Carnival is that it is the first time we have had a legitimate everything the way it used to be Winter Carnival since 2019,” Powers said.  “That in turn means the seniors don’t really have the normal advantage that they would in past years, as a lot of this is still new to them as well.  If the seniors are able to win this Winter Carnival, that oddity would really only make the win that much better….Fingers Crossed!!!”

The freshmen won’t truly be the only students feeling like first-timers, since most events haven’t been held or have been socially distanced since 2019. I asked Taylor Brewer ’26 about how she felt about winter carnival. “Winter carnival, in my opinion, is a good way to bring everyone in the school together. Even though it is our first time and freshmen are going to be in last place anyways, I think it is still fun.”