FFA state convention held in Presque Isle

• Samantha Edgecomb ’25 receives her first place award in the AG science fair.

• The Dairy Cattle Evaluation team receives their plaque from FFA State President Nickie Deschaine.

• PI FFA chapter at UMPI for state convention 2023.

Lane Carmichael, Staff Writer

Last week our FFA chapter attended the state convention hosted at UMPI. With chapters from as far away as Fryeburg, it was a great opportunity for the students to be present in agricultural development.

Students attended tours of local businesses including Smith’s Farm, McCains, Huber, and McCrums french fry plant. The students were also in multiple CDE’s (Career Development Events) and LDE’s (Leadership Development Events).

PI Chapter members who took first place honors in competitions included:

Samantha Egdecomb ’25 – AG Science Fair

Lane Carmichael ’26 – Creed Speaking

Brooke Emerson ’23, Erinn Kelly ’23, and Aaron Chase ’26 – Dairy Cattle Evaluation.

Although we won some events, many were won by other small schools in Aroostook county. Violet Gregg ’24 is a PIHS chapter member looking to run for chapter president next year. “I think more kids should join FFA, knowing that we live in a strong agricultural community,” Gregg said.

Not only is it important in growing leadership, but is an important bonding organization ranging from Alaska to Hawaii and Maine to the Virgin Islands. “FFA is a great place to make new friends and explore all the different meanings of agriculture and see the different ways it can help America,” Gregg said.