The final Ask Makayla

Makayla White

Makayla takes on the questions that are on your minds this spring

Makayla White, Staff Writer

Advice for seniors next year:
You’re gonna love it. The most difficult years of high school are the three first, trust me. Senior year is more fun than not.
Remember when Ferris Bueller said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t slow down every once and a while, you could miss it.” That’s what you need to keep in mind for your senior year. The world is moving so fast around you, you’re the only one that can control how you take that and balance it. While everything is going fast, just slow down and admire everything that’s happening, your life will change every day, I’m not exaggerating. Form a team with your classmates. They are there for you, and they’re going through the same things as you. Having drama within your team is a poor strategy. Work together and do big things. Trust me, it’s impressive.

If you had to start high school over again, what would you do differently?
I personally have no regrets; everything I did had a reason and I learned so much about myself, about life, and about the people around me. I think the best thing I did was trying things I normally wouldn’t do, if I hadn’t taken journalism I probably wouldn’t have any idea what I’d be doing next year in college. Believe me, you’ll never regret putting yourself out there. Even when it didn’t have the outcome I wanted, or I didn’t get the part that my heart desired, I got exposure which gave me opportunities and a lot of pride and confidence.

Not everyone is gonna see something in you that you may see. When you audition for something and don’t get a solo singing part or the lead position, don’t give up. My freshman year, I got a single speaking line in the musical and now I’m frequently paid to be a musician at local events. Trust me, high school is not the end of the world. Don’t focus on the competition and don’t focus on the drama, the friendships will grow and fade and people will come up with their own ideas of you. You have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone but yourself!! If you’re proud of yourself and happy with your life, that’s all that counts.

Least favorite band and why?
I think my least favorite band is Matchbox Twenty, just because I work in retail and that’s all they play on the store radio. Trust me, it gets old very quickly.

How do you acclimate to a new environment and handle that change?
I honestly am going through this right now. In August, many of us are leaving for college which is going to be so out of the norm. I’m learning as I go, but the number one thing I can tell you is to never just try to start on a fresh page. Trying to forget where you came from is just going to repress feelings that are so inevitable. This hometown and your experiences are a part of you that have completely built you up to make you who you are. It’s okay to be homesick and to miss everyone and everything that is back here. Feel those emotions and find healthy coping mechanisms. Feeling all the feels is going to help you move on and heal a lot better than trying to bottle up and break down later.

Lastly, remember that you’re never alone. Trust me, this is a tale as old as time. By putting yourself out there, you’re gonna find people that are going through the same thing and you can build a support system and maybe even start doing things with new friends that can take your mind off of the homesickness. Just make the best out of this time of your life because you will miss it one day and you don’t want to have a single regret.

I just want to finish this by saying thank you to everyone who has been reading the “Ask Makayla” column. Writing these has been such a joy for me this year, and I’m so glad if I was able to help some of you. The questions every time never failed to make me laugh, cry and puke in my mouth a little.

To my friends in The Anchor, I’m so proud of all of you and so glad I got to know you. Thank you for the laughs and friendships and for being the best team even on the super frustrating days. Without you guys, my senior year would’ve been a lot less enjoyable.

PIHS, thank you for everything you’ve taught me and thank you for being a safe community. You’re forever with me, no matter how far I go.