New Uniforms, New Problems

PIHS Cheerleaders Order New Uniforms

Perspective+is+everything.+

Michelle Cawley

Perspective is everything.

Kiara Lyford, Staff Writer

• PIHS cheerleaders take their last photo in their navy uniforms at the state basketball game.

• Jessie Boucher ’18 and Kiara Lyford ’18 taking a final photo in their uniforms.

• PIHS cheerleaders won counties in 2016 and show off their new uniforms.

• Jessie Boucher ’18 flys in her new uniform sophomore year.

New Uniforms, New Problems
For the second time in three years, the PIHS cheerleading team will be getting a new look.

The PIHS Athletics Department ordered the cheerleaders new uniforms for the 2017-2018 season. Many athletes have never had the experience of wearing a brand new uniform, but if someone is a fourth year cheerleader, they are receiving their third different winter uniform. They wore one uniform their freshman year that had been used since 2010, had new ones their sophomore year that the team also used their junior year, and once again they will have new uniforms for their senior year.

“We needed new uniforms because we would have ordered almost a full new set for the number of kids who made the team this year,” coach Kelsie Spooner said.

With not enough smaller sized uniforms and much of the team needing smaller sizes, buying new uniforms became the practical choice. The team has more cheerleaders than correctly fitting uniforms. Also, the white uniforms show makeup stains and other noticeable wear and tear.

“I know Mr. White, after talking to the coach, thought it was more practical to order all new ones,” Debbie Ackerson, assistant to the Athletic Director said. “There is a rotation every five years to purchase new uniforms for a team. And, it is hard to consider purchasing new uniforms for five kids.”

In a few years the cheering team would get new uniforms anyway, so the practical decision was to order new ones now and plan on them lasting. Otherwise, they would have ordered almost a full team’s worth this year to fit the members, and then a full team’s worth again in three years. Durability of uniforms as well as participation in activities is addressed before making uniforms last the full five year rotation. These factors all ruled to the decision of purchasing new uniforms.

A Better Look
“They will look a lot better,” senior captain Jessie Boucher said.

Boucher’s sophomore year the cheerleading team got new uniforms. Now as a senior she once again has the chance of wearing a brand new uniform. The team is thankful the uniforms will be back to navy (instead of white).

“I’m excited and I’m not. At least they will fit and the new ones will look better, but we don’t have them right now,” junior Emma Kohlbacher said.

Uniform Conflicts
While the cheerleaders are excited for more flattering uniforms, not all PIHS athletes have a bright outlook on the new uniforms. Swim team members, for example, have to buy their own uniforms because they have to be size specific each year and they don’t use undergarments with them, therefore they own their swimsuits permanently. This unique situation causes them even more frustration than the teams that have been waiting years for new uniforms.

“I understand why, because they perform in front of more people. But it upsets me. Our swimsuits are a lot of money,” senior Libbee Currie said.

Splitting the Team
Students viewing the new uniforms as unfair to other sports teams may not be the only problem the new uniforms are causing. The new uniforms won’t arrive until early January. With at least six home games and possibly one cheerleading competition before the uniforms arrive, the team has to wear the old uniforms until the new ones arrive. The coach decided that part of the team would cheer at one game, than the other members at the next game. The team will keep alternating who sits and who cheers at games until the uniforms come in or until they buy team shirts. For the competition, they plan to wear team shirts or finding something that matches for everyone on the team, allowing everyone to perform together.

“Cheering at games is our job. How bored would that student section be without us crowd cheering?” Spooner said.

The cheering uniforms have been ordered. Objecting opinions on the topic have been addressed and it was decided that the best decision for all was to get the new uniforms based on the unique circumstances and a common sense approach.