Tide Pod at Your Own Risk

Andrew McArthur

A display of the newer Tide Pod packages at Walmart in Presque Isle.

Andrew McArthur, Staff Writer

As we know, there is a social media event going around called, “The Tide Pod Challenge.” Now, you’d think that most teens would have enough common sense not to eat laundry detergent, but apparently not.

According to The Washington Post, there have been 37 reported cases of teenagers being hospitalized after eating Tide Pods.

In recent years, there have been a number of challenges that go around on social media, such as the cinnamon challenge, the water and salt challenge, and the ALS ice bucket challenge, which was for a good cause. One of the major questions for parents is, “Why are teens and young children doing all these challenges?”

According to Sarah Lagerstrom, PIHS social worker, “They’re doing this for attention. When they post videos of themselves doing theses crazy challenges, they get attention. It’s 10 seconds of fame.” She went on to say, “Nine times out of ten, it’s peer pressure that makes teens do these sort of things; they want to be liked.”

Amanda Winslow ‘21, says, “I think it’s just completely stupid. I don’t understand why someone would do that to themselves Tide pods are for doing your laundry, not a midnight snack.”

Deb Raymond, Health Services Director said, “I don’t understand what would possess someone to eat something like that, it’s obviously just not a healthy thing to do. If a student came into the Heath office and told us that they ate a laundry pod, we’d call the Poison Control Center.” Raymond added, “I’m not sure exactly what’s in laundry pods, however, I do know that the ingredients in detergents are very corrosive.”

Lagerstrom’s final advice to anyone who is considering posting a photo, or a video doing something, well let’s face it, stupid: “Think about this: who would you NOT want to see this?”