The Poitras Point

Top 5 News Stories of the 2017-2018 School Year

Emily Poitras, Staff Writer

The Las Vegas Shooting: October 1 2017 a man killed 58 people, making it as the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Hundreds were injured. He shot from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel. The 65-year-old had no previous record of criminal activity. This sparked yet another national talk about gun reform.

It’s important to remember this because of the mass number of people who were killed. Every few months it feels like we have another “deadliest” mass shooting. We need to remember these shootings so we can stop them.

The #metoo and #timesup movements: In late October 2017 dozens of women came out and talked about Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulting and/or harassing them. Then women started tweeting #metoo and said their stories with sexual assault and rape. Men and women in Hollywood wore black at the Golden Globes in solidarity of the thousands of victims nationwide.

It’s important because rape and sexual misconduct are very real problems. Many people dismiss this behavior by slut-shaming or making rape jokes. To have a movement that supports assault victims is a huge step to end shaming.

Hurricane Maria: September 16- October 2 2017. Hurricane Maria left thousands without power in Puerto Rico. Many are still without power and with the next hurricane season coming up, many could be left without power for a long time. The original death toll was 64, but recently officials found out the death toll is almost 70 times that. Trump was slow to help Puerto Ricans and many blame the high death toll because of that.

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory but they don’t get the same aid as if they lived in the continental U.S. We need to step up the game and treat every U.S. citizen equally

The Parkland Shooting: February 14, 2018 at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School, a former student shot and killed 17 students and teachers. Many survivors such as, Emma Gonzalez, spoke out against gun violence and started #marchforourlives nearly a month after the shooting. This even prompted Florida to change its gun laws.

It’s powerful to watch victims turn into revolutionary leaders. We are all fed up of watching hundreds of children die each year. Just like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, these students will have a powerful and lasting impact.

Stormy Daniels: after Stormy Daniels and President Trump’s affair, Michael Cohen gave Daniels hush money. Allegedly the hush money came during the 2016 election. Trump says the money did not come from the campaign. Why it’s such a big deal is because there is question if the transaction was legal or not.

This is a big deal because a. there was an affair and b. if the money came from campaign it wasn’t legal.