• November 29 Graduation Products Order Day & Signing for Diploma – (Room 124: 7:15-9:00am)

• November 21-23 Thanksgiving Break

• November 15 Presentation to Seniors on Graduation Products – (Aud: Right after homeroom)

• November 14 Project Grad 2019 Parent Informational Meeting – (Cafeteria: 6:00 – 8:00PM)

• November 12 Veterans Day Observed – No School

The Poitras Point

The Last Harvest Break: The Good, the Bad, and the Dirty

Harvest has been a tradition at Presque Isle High school for many years. The 2018-2019 school year finished the last harvest break.

Pixabay

Pixabay

Emily Poitras, Staff Writer

Most students associate harvest with hard work, sore bodies, and three weeks away from school. This fall, students worked on harvesters, in potato houses, and a few handpicked – all for the last time, since this appears to be the last SAD 1 harvest break.

There will be some perks of not having harvest break: students will have longer summer breaks, parents won’t have to worry about care for younger kids. Teachers don’t have to worry about a break in the middle of a lesson. However, farmers will worry  if they can get the harvesting done in time with less help. And local residents will have to wonder if the fabric of our community will stay as strong.

During the 2017 harvest 17 percent of students worked harvest, according to the annual harvest break survey, which turned out to be 94 students. This year, 15 percent of the student body worked, which is 82 students. Another dozen students worked at the school farm, according to John Hoffses, School Farm Coordinator. A handful of teachers also worked harvest. Some would say this downward trend of students who participate directly in harvest work suggests we should stop harvest.

I’ve worked all my four years during harvest break, for the first two years I babysat for parents who had kids in school,  and the last two I handpicked. It was bittersweet as we finished our last field. It was a way for me to earn a little bit of money for myself. I had freedom to buy things. It felt rewarding, too.

Harvest break gives farmers the extra help they need during the harvest season, and students earn independence and work experience. The hard work and tiredness are worth it in the end, even if you have to pause school for a few weeks.

As a senior, it’s been an amazing experience to be the last class to be a part of all four years of harvest.