• March 21 Choral Pops Concert – (PIMS Aud. - 7:00PM)

• March 21 NMCC Job Fair

• March 20 Career Fair for all Grade 10 Students at UMPI – Periods 3,4, & 5

• March 20 Harlem Superstars Athletic Boosters Fundraiser – (L. Gym – 6:00PM)

• March 20 NHS Blood Drive – (U. Gym – 9:00AM – 2:00PM)

Consequences of the anti-vaccine mindset

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anti- Vaccination movements across America have caused many childhood diseases to come back. Europe is struggling with outbreaks, as well. Washing hands and vaccines are key to prevention of passing germs. “Minimize the kissing too!” Health Director Deb Raymond said.

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Emily Poitras, Staff Writer

Flu season started in November and that’s not the only disease having an outbreak, measles and chickenpox have been invading schools all over the country. Speculation is because of the anti-vaccine movement sweeping across America.

Deb Raymond, the health director for MSAD1, said that children in Maine need a total of 12 shots before they enter kindergarten or 10 if they receive the fourth round DTP and third polio shots on or after a potential student’s fourth birthday. Recently, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated regulations that seventh graders will need another round of TDAP and MCV4 and that seniors will need another round of MCV4.

If parents feel that vaccination is against their religious beliefs or if their children have a health problem where getting vaccines will harm them, parents can always exempt their children for religious or medical reasons. “I’ve seen two medical exceptions in my whole career and maybe ten kids have religious exemptions this school year,” Raymond said.

Shortly after vaccines were invented, some rejected the procedure on many concerns like the fact that they may be tested on animals and contain mercury-based preservative, Thimiserol.

Rylee Theriault ’19 disagrees with getting vaccines, but there has no specific reason other than the fact she does not like receiving them. She has received all her childhood shots but has not gone back for boosters, “I’m not really concerned about an outbreak if it happens,” Theriault said.

Clint Goheen ‘22 is pro-vaccine because he believes that it can keep him healthy, despite the concerns. He doesn’t pressure anyone to get a shot if they don’t want it. “It’s whatever they want, it is a free country,” Goheen said.

Health teacher Janelle Sargent says that common ailments like the flu spread quickly because when you are in close quarters such as school it’s easy for germs to spread like wildfire. Incubation for some illnesses up to four days, meaning that people can look healthy and spread it before they show symptoms.

Before you get a shot it’s best to educate yourself on the vaccine and illness. Adjuvants, Thimerosal and formaldehyde are a concern. “We live in a world of information and technology; you can do your research before you get a shot,” Sargent said. “Make sure you don’t overwhelm your immune system by taking several shots at once.”

Ailments at Presque Isle come in waves, according to Raymond. Lately it’s been stomach aches and strep throat as well as headaches. There may be a few cases of the flu in Presque Isle.

To prevent getting sick, Raymond says to wash your hands while singing “Happy Birthday” twice through and avoid touching your face. Drinking fluids will help too, but don’t share drinks with your friends. And get your vaccines.