• February 16 Aroostook League Ski Championships – (GS & Slalom at Lonesome Pines - 10:00AM)

• February 15-23 Basketball Tournament – (Bangor: Cross Center)

• February 15 Winter Spirit Rally – (Lower Gym: 2:00 – 2:40pm)

• February 13 Aroostook League Ski Championships – (Freestyle 5k at Ft. Kent – 10th Mtn)

• February 13 Boys Basketball Pre-Lim v Foxcroft Academy @ 5:30pm

The Poitras Point

President Donald Trump is Holding America Hostage

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Poitras Point

Donald Trump has claimed he would keep the government shut down for months, even years  to get his wall.

Donald Trump has claimed he would keep the government shut down for months, even years to get his wall.

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Emily Poitras, Staff Writer

President Donald Trump is infamous for his Twitter meltdowns. We all remember when President Trump called Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren “Pocahontas.” The most recent meltdown has resulted his third government shutdown.

A partial government shutdown started at midnight on December 22, 2018, making it the third government shut down in the two years since Donald Trump has been president. This has left thousands without a paycheck. The now 27-day government shutdown has made it the longest in history.

In late 1995-1996, under Clinton, the government shutdown for 21 days over funding for medicare, education and environment. In the eight years that Barack Obama was president, there was one government shut down in 2013.

Previously, when the government has shut down, it was viewed as a national crisis, but now it’s a tool to manipulate civilians and congress to get what he wants. He is keeping the tax returns until he gets his wall.

The partial government shutdown started because Democrats and Republicans couldn’t agree on a $5.7 billion budget to build a wall on the southern U.S. border, as well as increase for border security. For every mile, it costs 24 million dollars. On Tuesday, January 15 there was a discussion to reopen the government, but nothing was accomplished, and now we’re on to week four.

Whether you believe in the wall or not, there is one thing to be agreed on: America is getting hurt by President Trump’s actions. 800,000 workers missed their pay last Friday. On top of this, people are not getting their food stamps and are going without basic necessities. Some are not going to be able to adopt their children, get a job, or they may lose their spot in daycare for their children. One person needs surgery and is depending on his tax refunds to get the surgery. 

Despite all of this, we don’t need a wall. We already have barriers in place where they make sense. We do need more funding in border patrol and a better border patrol system, but a physical wall is not going to fix America’s drug problem, a wall is not going to fix illegal immigrants entering our country, a wall is not going to fix anything.