Snow Sculptures Make a Comeback

Popular Winter Carnival event returns after 11 year hiatus

• Class of 2020 forth place for Frosty the Snowman.

• Class of 2022 third place winners with “Warming up Winter”

• Class of 2021 second place winners with Winter Olympics

• The completed 1st place senior snow sculpture of Olaf on a snowmobile sits outside the high school on Griffin Street. This marked the return of snow sculptures for the first time in 11 years.

Torrie Casey, Staff Writer

For the first time in 11 years, PIHS students have participated in snow sculptures for Winter Carnival. The Student Council decided to bring them back for another try. “The Student Council thought it would be a fun Winter Carnival activity and we thought that the students, as well as the community, would like to see the event come back,” said Student Council president Liz Collins ‘19. The students had four days to complete their sculptures during the week of February 25, but with back-to-back snow days affecting the schedule, the competition was postponed to March 4-7.

Winners were announced on Monday, March 11, with the seniors placing in first with their Frozen theme, sophomores came in second with a Winter Olympics sculpture, freshmen in third with the a campfire scene, and finally, the juniors came in fourth with Frosty the Snowman.

The community has seemed to enjoy driving by and seeing that the sculptures have finally come back, which reminds them of when they did the sculptures when they were in school. “I really enjoyed seeming the sculptures in front of the school, the kids really did a good job,” said community member Cye Hafford.

The snow is melting which means the sculptures are fading but that doesn’t stop members of our community from taking a quick drive by after work. “I wasn’t able to see the sculptures when they were first done, but seeing what is still left gives me hope on many more years of snow sculptures to come,” said community member Julie Howlett ‘94.

“I think doing snow sculptures this year was a good experience,” said Faith Sjoberg ‘22.  “It was good to see each class working together and helping each other out.”

Even though there weren’t many students who participated, each class still had fun and got it done. “I found it really difficult as there aren’t any students who have ever participated before, since this is the first time we’ve done it in a long time,” said Paige Mchatten ’20.

Each class had their own challenges but didn’t regret the experience. “I had a hard time visualizing a plan. As juniors we lacked participation from the student body, as well as a consistent plan from the beginning,” said McHatten.

“It was a fun activity and classes bonded and made amazing memories while working and freezing,” said freshman class adviser LeRae Kinney.

Many students had fun and want to see it stay for their high school years and those to come. “We hope that snow sculptures will continue after this year, and I hope that in the future it grows back into the popular event that it used to be,” said Collins