The COVID-19 World I’m Seeing

Our students’ thoughts on what it’s like to be living here and now, in this coronavirus-focused world:

"A word cloud featuring 'Coronavirus'" by www.epictop10.com is licensed under CC BY 2.0

The onslaught of corona virus-related disruptions has finally hit PIHS. Students share their reactions.

I miss school and my friends and it stinks that I can’t play the only sport I’m allowed to this year.

— Grace Sherman '22

“My thoughts on COVID-19 is that it’s scary and because of the scariness people aren’t living their lives, we’re just tiptoeing around everything. I miss school and my friends and it stinks that I can’t play the only sport I’m allowed to this year. But I can’t do anything about it, so I’m not going to stress about it. I’m just going to wait until it all blows over.” -Grace Sherman ’22

“I feel like everyone is making way too big of a deal out of this.  Yes, it’s a little scary, and a little uncomfortable to think about, but buying in bulk is so unnecessary, as is cancelling so many events.” -Allison Fullen ’21

“Honestly, I believe we should do online schooling to reduce possible infection and spread.” -Alex Patterson ’22

“Everyone is making it a big deal. There’s not really a lot of deaths. More people have died from the flu than this virus. Many things have been cancelled due to this.” -Hailee Hill ’23

As one of the students at PIHS it is a lot to handle and worry about. As we know, it mainly affects the elderly and those with underlying conditions, and some of the teachers/subs at the school fit those criteria, and I’m worried for them!

— Gabe Flannery '22

“I believe that the media has majorly blown this sickness out of proportion. To the majority of the population, this virus would have little to no affect. Although the people with a suppressed immune system could die from the virus, the same could be said about the flu and even the common cold, as these could also kill people in that state. If the virus is as bad as the media is saying, I believe that our school is not taking the precautions it needs to. Canceling Winter Carnival has no affect. The same student will pass the same germs through any other normal school day. Although we would not all be in the same room at the same time, throughout the course of the day we are all walking the same halls. I feel that there should be an actual effective protocol in place.” -Bethany Baker ’21

It’s affecting everyone, even celebrities who were once looked to as invincible in the past, but they now seem like regular people who can be changed in a snap.

— Paige Billings '22

“Even though we are young and less susceptible, we need to take the necessary action to keep others safe and healthy. I, however, am sad about Winter Carnival being postponed cause I was really looking forward to the dress up days and the events but as long as we will be able to do them later in the year I’m happy! Please, everyone, WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!” -Gabe Flannery ’22

“At first I thought it was just like the Ebola virus that would be talked about by many and then just go away. Sadly that was not the case. It has spread rapidly and has come to Maine where most of the population is elderly people who would be the most affected. It’s affecting everyone, even celebrities who were once looked to as invincible in the past, but they now seem like regular people who can be changed in a snap.” -Paige Billings ’22

“It’s definitely a little frightening but mostly confusing and annoying. With every form of media covering the virus in a different way it’s hard to know what’s true and what’s not. The majority of the panic is based on misinformation or lack of knowledge on the topic. For example, what is moving Winter Carnival going to change? We’re still going to school on a daily basis with all the same people we’d be exposed to during Winter Carnival. Also, it’s going to be tricky to use the bathroom with no toilet paper.” -Zander Page ’21

“It’s taken a toll on our economy as well as everyone in the world. I have been very disappointed to see most school trips as well as Winter Carnival be sacrificed because of this virus as well as the jazz band trip to States. This has been a very good year for concert band, and I hope COVID-19 does not affect our trip to New Hampshire and to an amusement park while in New Hampshire. This is a very good band and jazz band, and I would not like to see these seniors not enjoy their last year here at PIHS not having the senior year their supposed to.” -Wilson Saucier

What is moving Winter Carnival going to change? We’re still going to school on a daily basis with all the same people we’d be exposed to during Winter Carnival. Also, it’s going to be tricky to use the bathroom with no toilet paper.

— Zander Page '21

“My thoughts? IT’S JUST A FLU BUG WITH A FANCY NAME! JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A FANCY NAME DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING!! ITS LIKE TELLING A PERSON THAT THE CAKES YOU BUY AT THE STORE HAS A CHEMICAL CALLED SODIUM BICARBONATE THAT SOUNDS DANGEROUS AND DEADLY AND PROBABLY WOULDN’T EAT IT, UNTIL YOU REALIZE THAT SODIUM BICARBONATE IS JUST BAKING SODA WHICH IS USED IN BAKING ANYWAYS!” -Abby Harper ’20

“Living in this “corona-virus-focused world” is just about basic hygiene. You know, wash your hands after using the restroom, wash your hands after going somewhere, and wash your hands after contact with people such as shaking hands or high fives. Schools have the right to be worried for their students, but I don’t think school events at the school should be cancelled. Yes, it is a large group of people in one place but we’re always together anyway. If they’re not going to cancel public school in general then they shouldn’t cancel school events. An assembly could be necessary for a hygiene presentation for those who don’t know, but I don’t think that’s a very big group. People need to know that this virus can be life-threatening, but it’s simple to prevent. Just wash your hands.” -Amelia Dyer ’23

“I just want online classes. I’m seeing a lot of schools getting virtual schooling. I think that our school should take these same precautions.” -Isabella Keegan ’23

“If other schools around us are think about switching to online school or the rest of the year, I think we should do this as well. If events in our school are getting canceled, why can’t they cancel school?  We see the same amount of people every day through the halls. It’d be best to do online classes for the safety of all.” -Jaylee Howlett ’23

“It is so terrible. This is crazy how much people are overreacting. There was no point of cancelling Winter Carnival, because everyone is together every day anyway. There is no difference between Winter Carnival and school. I’m outraged!” -Nathan Willett ’20

“I find it annoying that we have to change our schedules, and we can’t go to chorus concerts anymore because of it.” -Sean Smith ’23

It is so terrible. This is crazy how much people are overreacting.

— Nathan Willett '20

“Scary.” -Evan Brown ’23

“With dual citizenship between the U.S. and Canada, my family and I go over the border on nearly a monthly basis. The majority of our family lives in the maritimes, and I am slightly worried for them—not only are they in their old age, but in populated areas; however, if the borders were to close, I would think and hope its for the better. If it’s going to get any worse here, I wouldn’t want to go over there and cause any further harm.” -Ethan Wydysh ’21

If it does get up here I am more worried about my grandfather because he is 80 years old and doesn’t have the best immune system, and I’m worried about my great grandmother because she is already really sick as it is, and if she gets the virus, she won’t make it. 

— Allison Gardiner '22

“Honestly, it’s frustrating when everything is focused on this virus. It’s a form of a flu that’s easier to contract.  If you look at statistics, the regular flu has killed more people. People don’t realize that, yes, it’s easier to get, but kids our age have a extremely high chance of surviving it. It’s the elderly, the young people, and people with low immune systems, like diabetics, that have the high chance of getting it and not surviving. People taking so much toilet paper and hand sanitizer and cleaner is ridiculous; you don’t need to stock up on toilet paper, just wash your hands. By taking away all the cleaning products you’re making it easier for the elderly and disabled people to get it because they can’t get the products they need. I can’t even go get any toilet paper because Walmart doesn’t have any. I’m down to like 4 rolls and I actually need it. With the thought of canceling school, would we just not get a summer? If they transfer to online classes how will the kids who eat school breakfast and lunch get it?  People don’t think about the kids who get their only meals at the school.” -Rheanna Ortman ’21

“My thoughts on COVID-19 are I don’t really understand why people are so worried about it. The symptoms are just like the influenza virus, but people don’t worry about that as much as this. Because coronavirus has been around for a while now, just this one is a different strain. I mean, I understand why people are concerned about it because it’s gonna mostly hurt the people who are old because their immune systems aren’t the best already, the younger children because their immune systems haven’t fully developed because they haven’t been in contact with a lot of things and people who have immunodeficiencies. I get why they canceled school activities to keep us safe, but it’s not that close to us, so we don’t have to cancel everything right away. I am pretty upset that they are canceling Winter Carnival because that is just for our school, but all the trips and stuff I understand.  I think it was kinda ridiculous how people are buying all the toilet paper because COVID-19 isn’t gonna give you diarrhea. People who need the toilet paper right now because they don’t have any at their house can’t buy any cause there is none. And the Germ-x thing, all those people stocked up on Germ-x but it won’t even weaken the virus. So they now have tons of toilet paper and Germ-x that won’t help at all. If I were to stock up on things, I would store up on food and water because if you’re stuck in your house, that’s what you need the most. I have heard people talking about how they are worried we won’t have electricity because they are going to shut down work places, but I think they still will give us electricity because it’s a special case. If it does get up here I am more worried about my grandfather because he is 80 years old and doesn’t have the best immune system, and I’m worried about my great grandmother because she is already really sick as it is, and if she gets the virus, she won’t make it.  The media is making it worse than it is because it’s only really bad for the younger and older parts of the population. The main thing that is gonna help you is basic hygiene, like we were all taught to do since kids. Doctors should test more people for CoVid-19 so they can stop it before it gets way too bad.” -Allison Gardiner ’22

“I am honestly am a bit disgusted about how over blown the corona virus has been. The media has fueled this fire so much more than it needs to be. I’m not even worried about the virus, but with all the media surrounding it has given me an uneasy mind about the whole situation. Imagine if we lived in a world that wasn’t so dead focused on this and more focused on bettering ourselves as a community. Imagine how much more productive we would be.” -Taylor Hedrich ’20