Varsity Boys Secure a Playoff Spot Tuesday Following Second Consecutive Blowout of Fort Fairfield

The Presque Isle Varsity Boys Soccer team rolled over the Tigers of Fort Fairfield by a score of 6-0 Tuesday night.

Ricky Goupille

Presque Isle’s Malachi Cummings (#8) jumps for a head ball during the second half of Tuesday’s contest against Fort Fairfield

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

In the regular season finale for both Presque Isle and Fort Fairfield Tuesday, it was a rather one sided affair in favor of the Wildcats, who were playing with a playoff spot on the line. 

What was originally supposed to be a home contest for the Tigers, poor field conditions caused the game to be moved to the Gehrig Johnson Athletic Complex in Presque Isle. And much like the last time Fort Fairfield came to town, they would face a blowout loss, this time to the tune of six goals. 

Several early Wildcat chances were turned away by the Tigers’ goalkeeper before a Malachi Cummings’ shot following a rebound found the back of the net. The pressure on the opposing side of the field would continue for the remainder of the half, where another shot would cross the goal line, this time from junior Jonah Roy. 

The second half turned out to be very much the same, Presque Isle notching another four goals before the clock ran down, securing their sixth win of the season, and with a Caribou win over Central Aroostook, the fourth playoff seed as well.

Jonah Roy finished with four goals, while Cummings and freshman Jenson Sargent each contributed one, as well.

The Wildcats will face the undefeated Hodgdon Hawks in Hodgdon on Friday at 2:30 pm.