January 2020 vs. 2021

Jane Morningstar, Staff Writer

Coronavirus has taken over the world and there have been many changes since January 2020.

Starting in January 2020, students at Presque  Isle Middle School started getting new information on the coronavirus on CNN10. For some amount of time, it was just another news story, and our students never thought it was a big deal, even when the virus developed in the USA, because it was on the other side of  the country. However, the virus spread at a rapid pace across the globe, and it became serious.

Fast forward a few months to March 2020: nobody knew that the last day of school for the year was going to be Friday the 13th.

Remote learning was supposed to last two weeks. The two weeks lasted to the end of the school year. There were rumors that summer would be normal and the coronavirus would be dead. That statement, however, was incorrect, and scientists thought it would be a few years until a vaccine.

From January 2020 to January 2021, our vocabulary has stretched an outrageous amount.

New words people would never thought of saying on a daily basis:

1. Quarantine 
  2. COVID-19
  3. Social distancing six feet
  4. “Don’t forget your mask” 
  5. ‘Rona (short for coronavirus)
  6. Mascne ( mask and acne) 
  7. Quarantine and chill 
  8. CDC
  9. Lockdown/Shutdown
  10. Pandemic 
  11. Outbreak
  12. Coronavirus 

Students have noticed things they do differently now than last January. 

Hunter Stubbs ‘21 said, “One thing I do differently now is try to build my stomach capacity, because I am interested in doing eating competitions.” Over the quarantine phase, many people binge over TV shows, but others find a way to keep themselves busy. 

Quinn Demerchant ‘22 said, “I have been getting into collecting rocks, and I have discovered a rock that carbon dated back to 926 B.C. I found it interesting that the value in the laboratory placed its price at $0.76, however I think it’s at least worth $0.83.” Those are two ways to entertain yourself more in this time.

Students also noticed everyday changes in things they do differently to prevent getting sick. Gabi Caron ‘23 said, “I wash my hands more frequently.” Keeping up a healthy routine in your day will help with the prevention of others becoming sick. To add, Kiley Howlett ‘22 said, “I have to wear a mask everywhere I go.” Like so many others, she is trying to stop the rising cases in The County. 

Grant Stubbs ‘24 said, “Unlike last year, now we can’t sit with a group of people at one table. Also, teachers are strict on putting your masks on right after you have finished eating.” He added , “I got yelled at for not having my mask on when I wasn’t eating.”

The school has to be more strict now that the virus is serious. Piper Campbell ‘24 said, “We can’t be close to people in the halls anymore, and we have to social distance with masks.”

Schools have changed in many ways since last January. A lot of new realities have blended with what used to be normal. Where will January 2022 find us?