Wildcats Get Revenge on Shires in Houlton

The boys varsity basketball team recorded their first win of the season Friday, defeating the Houlton Shiretowners by a score of 73-72.

Cameron Levasseur

Head Coach Terry Cummings talks with his team during a timeout in the Wildcats’ first game of the season earlier this month.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

In a season where home court advantage no longer exists, the Wildcats were able to walk into a normally rowdy Houlton gym and register a 73-72 win.

The game was tightly contested throughout, but the scoreboard would be controlled by the Shires for the majority of the first half, with Presque Isle’s only lead lasting less than ten seconds. 

The tide would shift in the second half however, with the Wildcats’ fluid offense taking control of the game and eventually the lead midway through the fourth quarter, led by senior Connor Rideout and junior Xavier McAtee, who combined for 19 points in the final frame.

In fact, it would be a put back from McAtee following a missed free throw with under 20 seconds left that would seal the deal for the Star City squad, as a frantic effort from Houlton while the clock ticked down would fall short, leaving the Shires with a one point deficit as the final buzzer rang.

Only five Wildcats scored in the game, but 21 from Rideout and McAtee each, as well as a 15 point contribution from sophomore Malachi Cummings pushed them over the edge. They improve to 1-1 on the season with the win. 

The team’s next game will be on the road this coming Wednesday in Caribou.