Wildcats Blowout Panthers Missing Three Key Players

Despite being without three key seniors due to contact tracing, the girls varsity basketball team was still able to cruise past Central Aroostook 63-40 Friday.

Dave Allen

Senior Julianna Morningstar (42) takes a jump shot during a February 2021 game against Caribou

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

In a highly touted sideline duel between two of Presque Isle High School’s finest, it was the Wildcats’ Jeff Hudson, fresh out of quarantine, who was able to bring home the victory to keep his team’s undefeated season alive. 

Both squads opened the game with a fury, shooting 16 three pointers combined just over  halfway into the first quarter. But it was the Wildcats, who were missing three seniors to quarantines of their own, who would close the quarter on a 9-0 run to take a 15-6 lead into the break. 

Central Aroostook would not back down however, mounting a run of their own to begin the second frame, bringing the game to within one before Presque Isle could muster another basket. Despite the effort, they would fail to regain the lead, trading baskets with the home team to close the half down three to the Wildcats. 

The Panthers would falter in the third, only managing six points while losing two players to foul trouble as Hudson’s lineup extended their advantage to 16. Such would be the story of the final eight minutes as well, as 20 points on the night from Maci Beals’ couldn’t stop a 20 point blowout at the hands of Presque Isle as the game ended 63-40. 

Senior Rhylee Kinney led her team with 15 points while Sadie Lapointe, Faith Sjoberg and Julianna Morningstar each tallied double digits with 14, 13 and 11 respectively. 

“I think it was a great team effort, especially since we’re missing a lot of key players,” Sjoberg said after the win. “We all had to step up and play a little harder because of that. In the first quarter we struggled some, but  we had a huge third quarter which allowed us to gain some confidence and run away with the game.”

The Wildcats’ next game will pit them against Caribou once again next Tuesday on the road.