What We’re Missing

Students+flaunt+their+facial+characteristics+that+have+gone+unnoticed+for+so+long.+%E2%80%9CI+got+my+nose+piercing+to+show+friends+and+peers%2C+so+I+am+glad+to+have+the+chance+now%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Hailey+Marquis+%E2%80%9822.+

Katie Bright

Students flaunt their facial characteristics that have gone unnoticed for so long. “I got my nose piercing to show friends and peers, so I am glad to have the chance now,” said Hailey Marquis ‘22.

Julianna Morningstar, Staff Writer

I walk down senior hall eager to start my day. I see a couple of my teammates a length of a hallway away, and I beam what I know is my trademark Julianna smile to them since we’re still too far apart to chat.

However, in February, 2021, this doesn’t actually happen. Nor can it. The exasperating piece of fabric I have to wear over my face keeps one of the most genuine parts of myself – my smile- hidden. The ways I have had to re-identify and re-brand this outwardly warm energy has forced me out of my comfort zone. I can’t help but feel robbed. But at least I know I am not alone.

Hundreds of fascinating students mindlessly wander through our halls trying to forget about all the side effects of this pandemic and all they have been robbed of. I want to know what people are being stripped of under their masks.

A handful of students have been hiding unique physical or facial characteristics under their COVID required masks. Chacity Gendreau ‘23 has a nose piercing, but now it feels hidden. “It kinda defeats the purpose of getting a nose piercing since I have to wear a mask over it anyway,” she said.  

Because of this pandemic, many students are feeling the same way about their muted faces. Yet many still maintain a positive attitude. 

“It’s kinda annoying because no one sees my new nose piercing. But it doesn’t really bother me,” said Sophia Gordon ‘23.

One student in particular hid his new facial hair exceptionally well from his peers, teachers and administrators. Which is easy to do during COVID-19.

“If we’re wearing masks no one on the athletics board would require me to shave [my mustache]” said Ethan Wydysh ‘21. His future plans are to shave the ‘stache before he gets in trouble with sports administration since there is a rule to not have facial hair.

There are quite a variety of unique characteristics people are hiding under their masks. Hiding pieces of their personality. Hoping and waiting to be flaunted to the world someday soon. 

“I miss seeing everyone’s smiles, because without facial expressions it’s harder to read people,” said Amelia Donovan ‘24. “A piece of the social aspect of high school is missing and I think we can all agree that we want it back.”