Cummings Scores 28 as Wildcats Maul Tigers

The boys varsity basketball team registered their third win of the season Friday in a 40 point massacre over Fort Fairfield.

Dave Allen

Sophomore Malachi Cummings dribbles the ball up the court during a mid January game against Houlton.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

Following a tough loss to Caribou earlier this week, the Wildcats hit the road this afternoon hoping to rebound against the Fort Fairfield Tigers in a rare matchup between the Class B and C schools, and rebound they did.

Despite the height inside for the Tigers, the hustle of Presque Isle allowed them to consistently get second, third and fourth chances off of missed shots, and when you give a team that many opportunities, eventually they’re going to convert, which is exactly what the Wildcats did tonight in an 81-41 blowout on the road. 

The game got off to a close start, with both sides trading baskets for most of the first quarter, but once the guests started to up the pressure on the defensive end, their opponents began to crumble. A 7 point lead after one mounted into 14, and from there the onslaught would only get worse. 

Sophomore Malachi Cummings put up 10 points in the second quarter alone en route to a season high 28 point performance to lead his team tonight. Junior Xavier McAtee followed with 15 and freshman Jack Buck also cracked double figures with 10 while seven other Wildcats also made a dent in the scorebook. 

“We played with confidence while shooting the ball and also took it strong to the basket,” said senior Jacob Devine after the win. “Our bench came in and did their job to help us extend the lead and we just had fun out there, which is when we play our best.”

Their next test will come in four days on February 16, as they face off against the Fort Kent Warriors, who are looking to kick off their heavily delayed season with a win.