Wildcats Keep on Winning with Matinee Blowout of Warriors

The girls varsity basketball team won their eighth consecutive game Monday with a 62-30 victory over the Fort Kent Warriors.

Natasha Brewer

Presque Isle’s Julianna Morningstar (42) and Rhylee Kinney (40) defend a Central Aroostook player during a game at Central Aroostook High School earlier this month.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

From the opening possession of this one, it was clear that the Warriors, playing in their first game of the season in mid February due to COVID delays, lacked the confidence to take on the undefeated Wildcats, and when they would begin to find that confidence midway through the first quarter, it was already too late.

Presque Isle, The County’s premier basketball squad this winter, entered Monday with a 7-0 record and began this contest on a 16-0 run, not conceding a basket until over four minutes of time had ticked off the clock. Junior Faith Sjoberg had 13 of her team’s 25 points in the first frame, including four three-pointers. 

Fort Kent would manage to bring their deficit to single digits within that first eight, but that would be the closest they would get, as the Wildcats only continued to pull away further the longer the game went on. They took this one 62-30 to improve 8-0 on the season ahead of a highly anticipated matchup with Southern Aroostook this Friday afternoon.

“I think we played a good game overall,” Sjoberg said after the game. “There were a few times where we were a little sloppy, but we still found a way to maintain our lead and we never gave them a chance to get back in the game.”

Sjoberg led her team with 16 on the afternoon, followed by fellow junior Courtney Kane, who had 9. Eight other Wildcats chipped in points in the game.