Wildcats Claim Victory in Physical Battle with Warriors

For the second time in three days, the boys varsity basketball team put a cork in the offense of the Fort Kent Warriors and came out of the gym with a 28 point victory.

Cameron Levasseur

The Wildcats guard an inbound pass during Friday’s contest with Fort Kent.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

After being embarrassed on their home court two nights ago, Fort Kent came into Presque Isle this afternoon looking for revenge, unfortunately for them, the Wildcats had other plans. 

A back and forth, physical first half ended with a 39-24 lead for the home team. While the Warriors’ offense was clicking more so than it had been on Wednesday, defensive lapses and poor turnovers cost them in the long run. Sophomore Malachi Cummings capitalized on those opportunities to the tune of 24 points, including 4 three-pointers, in the half to lead his team to an early advantage.

The game’s physicality would die down in the second half, as more fouls began to be called on both sides, but the scoreboard remained heavily in the Wildcats favor throughout. A combined 20 points in the third from junior Xavier McAtee and senior Jacob Devine maintained their team’s lead and put them on the cusp of victory. From there, the Wildcats’ bench held the Warriors’ attack docile as the clock wound down towards a 77-49 victory. 

Cummings finished with 30 points on the game, trailed by McAtee, who had 17 and Devine, who recorded 11.

“I feel like we played well,” senior Connor Rideout said in retrospect. “We didn’t start off hot but Malachi lit it up, then once that stopped working we started working the ball inside and doing what we do best to pull out a win today.”

The varsity boys improved to 5-3 on the season with the win ahead of a clash with Southern Aroostook tomorrow at 1 pm.