Wildcats Ride Third Quarter Surge to Victory Over Shires

The girls varsity basketball team won their tenth consecutive game Tuesday, as they defeated the Houlton Shiretowners by the score of 57-41.

Dave Allen

Hattie Bubar (10) attempts a three point shot during a February 2021 meeting with the Fort Kent Warriors at Presque Isle High School.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

The third meeting between Presque Isle and Houlton on the season ended exactly like the first two, with yet another Wildcat win. 

It was not all sunshine and rainbows from the get go however, as they would find themselves trailing by three at the end of the first frame and again at the conclusion of the half. The Wildcats struggled to convert from beyond the arc in that first 16, going 2/9 in the first before beginning to work the ball inside more in the second.

They would start to find their shooting touch coming down the stretch in the third quarter, knocking down six threes from four different players in the latter stages of the period to not only take the lead, but assert total control over the ball game, bringing what was once a one possession Shire advantage to a 10 point Presque Isle chokehold. 

Houlton would muster all they had left in the fourth in an attempt to bring the contest back to even, but the comeback attempt fell short in the end, as the Wildcats held on to win this one by the score 57-41. 

Junior Faith Sjoberg led her team with 13 on the night, while seniors Julianna Morningstar and Meg Casavant had 11 and 10 respectively. 

“We started off kind of slow, but once we get going we are unstoppable,” Morningstar said postgame. “I am so proud of our ability to work together as a team.”

The Wildcats close out the regular season later this week with a road bout against Fort Kent on Thursday, followed by a final go around on the home court against Caribou Saturday afternoon.