Wildcats’ Defense Comes Up Big in Suffocation of Warriors

The girls varsity basketball improved to 11-0 on the season with a 62-26 trampling of Fort Kent on the road Thursday.

Dave Allen

Senior Rhylee Kinney (41) looks for the rebound during the Wildcats first meeting with Fort Kent earlier this month.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

Junior Faith Sjoberg and senior Meg Casavant combined for 26 points in the first half as the Wildcats rolled to an impressive 62-36 victory over the Warriors of Fort Kent Community High School on the road Thursday. 

They set the tone early in this one, going on a 15-0 run to open the game before the Warriors finally were able to convert on a shot with well over half of the first quarter already gone. That first basket would not serve to kickstart the home offense either, as they would only register another three before the end of the half, going into the locker room down 36-9 against the undefeated Presque Isle squad. 

The second half would see no change, as the smothering defense of the Wildcats held Fort Kent to 17 points the entirety of the half as they continued to run up the score while clearing the bench

“It was nice to see everyone be able to get some playing time,” senior Hattie Bubar said following the game. “We moved the ball well and our goal was to keep them under 30, which we achieved with tough defense.”

Sjoberg led the team with 17 points, including four three pointers, all of which were in the first 16 minutes, while Casavant made three from beyond the arc to finish with 9. 

Now 11-0, Presque Isle will finish off the regular season this Saturday at home against Caribou before entering the Aroostook League playoffs as the number one seed next Wednesday.