Contributions Up and Down the Roster Lead Wildcats to Blowout Quarterfinal Victory

13 players chipped in points as the fourth seeded boys varsity basketball team rolled to a 94-47 victory over the fifth seed Hodgdon Hawks in a quarterfinal matchup Thursday.

Dave Allen

Junior Jackson Maynard (24) sends a pass to senior Jacob Devine (not pictured) during a January 2021 game against Houlton at Presque Isle High School.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

For the second time in as many sports seasons, Presque Isle faced off against Hodgdon in an Aroostook League quarterfinal matchup. And once again, the Wildcats came out victorious in dominating fashion by the score of 94-47.

It was perhaps the most fast pace, highest scoring contest of this boys basketball season, as from the start, shots were falling left right and center for both sides. 

The Wildcats jumped out an early 11-3 lead within the first two minutes, but the Hawks would battle back, making it a two possession game shortly thereafter. That recovery early would set the tone for the rest of the contest, as erratic shot selection and passing down the stretch would force the road team to constantly be playing catch up. 

A 27-15 first quarter lead grew to 50-33 at the half, as the Wildcats would continue to ride a steady wave of momentum into the final 16, a tide that the Hawks would drown in, mustering only four third quarter points and 12 in the half.

With the starters out of the game, the Presque Isle bench would still put on an offensive show to close out this one, managing 21 points in the final frame as their team put up a season high 94 on the night. 

13 players scored in the contest for the winning side. But it would be senior Connor Rideout, who showed shades of Dirk Nowitzki with his mid-range prowess, leading the Wildcats with 21 in the game. Junior Xavier McAtee followed with 17, while sophomore Malachi Cummings had 14 and junior Noah Yarema had 11.

“We struggled (defensively) in the first half, we couldn’t stop anything,” senior Jude Mosher said after the win. “The second half we brought things back together and took care of business.”

Their playoff quest will continue this Saturday, as they face off against the Caribou Vikings for the right to play in the Divison One final game next Tuesday.