More Perspectives on the Vaccine

Students open up about an ongoing hot topic: The COVID-19 vaccine.

Julianna Morningstar

“It took me maybe 15 minutes for the whole first shot. In and out, no painful soreness,” said Jason Wilcox ’21.

Julianna Morningstar, Staff Writer

As the countdown to the end of the school year starts, and the sun begins to be generous with its warmth, many Maine residents are given the option for the COVID vaccine. This stirs the discussion all across social media, in schools, in work places, and even in households of whether or not the vaccine is safe.

Since the state of Maine opened the vaccine up to anyone 16 or older on April 19, many residents have taken advantage of this opportunity. As of May 5, Maine has 557, 579 people in Maine fully vaccinated, which is 41.48% of our population. In the entire United States of America, we are the state with the highest percentage of fully vaccinated people. Not only is Maine leading the charge, but Aroostook County specifically has been recognized because, “It’s easier to get a coronavirus vaccine in Aroostook County than anywhere else in Maine,” said Jessica Piper from the Bangor Daily News. The systems set up for vaccinating people are being run smoothly and are effective in rolling out thousands of vaccines a day. 

However, even in our small community at Presque Isle High School there are a variety of different opinions about the vaccine. A handful of students, when asked, agreed with Courtney Kane ‘22 when she said, “It worries me that we don’t know the full side effects. Like in 20 years, what are the side effects going to be?” The unknown capabilities of the vaccine is what is steering a portion of Maine residents from getting this vaccine. 

Some students who have the option, have been vaccinated and strongly recommend it. Jason Wilcox ‘21 said, “When I was researching the efficacy rate of each [vaccine] and the possible side effects of each. I settled with Pfizer as it seemed most trusted.” He continued to recommend the vaccine when he said, “I don’t care what political beliefs you have, if you want to get back to normalcy, get it! By doing so you’re protecting many many vulnerable people.”

With strong opinions swirling across the world it is important to remember to do your own research and choose the best option for yourself. “I found that whatever you want to find is what you’ll find. If you want proof the vaccine is good, you’ll find articles on that. If you want to see if the vaccine isn’t good, then you’ll find articles to support that as well,” said Kaitlyn Dotson ‘21.

“It’s a personal decision that someone needs to decide if they want it or not. I am not a high risk person so I feel like I don’t need to get it right off, so I’m just going to wait and see. I’m not totally against it, though,” said Noah Roy ‘21.

At the end of all of the research, conflicting opinions and concerns, Dotson voices the mainstream view when she says, “I want [COVID-19] to go away, it’s ruined too many things.” Wilcox also says, “I’m glad to be a part of the greater good. Let’s try and have a normal end to this year!”