From bleeding red to bleeding blue

Caribou transfer students tell what it’s really like to transfer to a rival school.

Cassidy Carlisle

Annalise Jandreau ’23 and Landon Thompson ’22 walk down junior hall before homeroom on November 4. Jandreau and Thompson both faced a major social and academic decision when they transferred from Caribou to PIHS for their high school careers. “Out of all my years at PIHS, I’ve never considered switching back to Caribou,” said Thompson.

Cassidy Carlisle, Staff Writer

For students who make the choice to tuition here from Caribou, the real challenge is to, “Learn how to realize that whatever you decide is not the end of the world,” said junior Annalise Jandreau. In an area of the state where there are only two options for Class B size schools, students who choose to transfer from Caribou to Presque Isle have to figure out how to make this transfer go smoothly. 

The rivalry between Presque Isle and Caribou is textbook. Imagine having the challenge of switching, not only to another high school, but to a rival school. Current PIHS students walk our halls who’ve hacked this challenge.

Landon Thompson ‘22, sophomore Jamie Henderson and Jandreau all had connections to Presque Isle before moving here. Jandreau and Thompson both had a sibling or multiple older siblings who had made the switch before they did. Thompson said, “My sister Sydney couldn’t say anything bad about it which made me want to switch even more,” Jandreau said. Making the decision was the hardest part. The transition was easy because she was welcomed within the first few seconds of being at Presque Isle. Henderson was originally from Presque Isle; that is her connection to Presque Isle. Thompson and Jandreau both say one of the most challenging things is worrying about being judged by people in your hometown community. However, Jandreau said, “I’ve never felt more welcomed than I did when transitioning to Presque Isle.”

Our former Vikings have tips for any student switching schools. “Try not to worry about it, take the risk,” said Thompson. Jandreau added, “Look at the people in the school, and where are you going to be accepted most, because at the end of the day nothing else matters.” Henderson said, “It takes time, it’s not going to be a quick and easy process but it will all work out.”

Another obstacle transfer students face is travel. Caribou residents can’t get to activities or classes as quickly, but Thompson said, “I personally enjoy the ride every morning, as I find it very relaxing before my school day starts.”

Although changing from a school to a new school is hard, especially when there is a rivalry involved, joining the Wildcat community has been a positive experience for Jandreau, Henderson and Thompson.