Wildcat What Now?

Winter Carnival becomes Wildcat Madness

Sydney Craig

“What the fluff?” Ellie Goheen ’18 comments on the news of Wildcat Madness

Sydney Craig, Staff Writer

Presque Isle High School’s beloved Winter Carnival has seen many changes over the decades, from abandoning snow sculptures, to changing our Deck the Halls theme selection process, but it has never seen a change like this: Winter Carnival is now, and forevermore will be, Wildcat Madness.

The decision was made at the end of last year; it was proposed by Student Council adviser Katalin Grooms. The proposal was sent out by a Google Form for the class cabinets to vote on. There were three options on the ballot. They were to a.) keep it Winter Carnival, b.) change it to PIHS Carnival, or c.) change it to Wildcat Madness. There also was an option for suggestions. As the votes came in it was clear that it would be a close call between Wildcat Madness and Winter Carnival. When all the votes were tallied, there was a two vote difference, with Wildcat Madness winning.

So why the change? “For the last three years Winter Carnival has not happened during the winter at all, it has started after the first day of spring,” Grooms said, “and all of our winter activities are gone.”

As far as Wildcat Madness goes, it will still be the same fun-filled, competitive week, and none of the events will change, but how do  students feel about this? “I don’t care,” said sophomore Mitchell Dumais, but senior Laura McKenna said, “That’s stupid. It has always been Winter Carnival.” Grooms anticipated this saying “The seniors are mad, but I could care less.”

It’s not only some seniors who are mad, but some of the staff here at PIHS have grown up with Winter Carnival and also have thoughts to share. “I don’t like it and I’m still going to call it Winter Carnival,” said freshman science, biology and forensics teacher, Erika Bernard. She thinks the whole event, including the name, is part of the tradition, and that it shouldn’t change.

But with a vote so close what does the opposing side have to say? “It doesn’t bother me because I didn’t even know that it changed, and it doesn’t change what we are doing,” said senior Faith Walsh.

If it’s Winter Carnival or Wildcat Madness it will always be the same competitive three days of class against class all striving for one thing: the bragging right of class champions, and of course The Jug.