Track team competes at states

Wildcat track team wraps up season at state meet

The+track+team+competed+at+the+Class+B+state+championship+on+Saturday%2C+June+4+in+MDI.+The+girls+finished+in+15th+place+and+the+boys+in+13th.+

Shelley McAtee

The track team competed at the Class B state championship on Saturday, June 4 in MDI. The girls finished in 15th place and the boys in 13th.

Cassidy Carlisle, Staff Writer

On Saturday, June 4 the track team competed at the Class B state championship at MDI High School. For an athlete to qualify for this meet they had to make a state qualifying time, height, or distance. The girls team placed 15th with a score of 12 points, and the boys team placed 13th with a score of 19 points.

Assistant coach Doug Carlisle (father of the author) feels the state meet was a success for the team. “We had many season and personal bests at the state track meet; it is an impressive accomplishment to qualify and compete at the state meet. We had seven podium finishes (medals received), which as a coaching staff makes us proud,” said Carlisle. “We had an amazing group of seniors that will be greatly missed. They were true leaders at PIHS.”

The boys and girls teams together had a total of five athletes score points:

Girls Scoring Points:

• Cassidy Carlisle 1600 Meter Race Walk (2nd place)-(1 medal earned)

• Reagan Deschene 1600 Meter Race Walk (4th place)-(1 medal earned)

Boys Scoring Points:

• Malachi Cummings Javelin Throw (4th place), 110 Meter Hurdles (5th place)-(2 medals earned)

• Xavier McAtee Discus Throw (3rd place), Shot Put (4th place)-(2 medals earned)

• Jonah Roy Pole Vault (6th place)-(1 medal earned)

The track team before they left, at dinner, and cheering their teammates on during the 4×400 Meter Relay. (Douglas Carlisle, Heather Harvell, and Cindy Himes)