Deck the Halls Debate

Student views on the theme selection process

Junior+Hall+awaits+for+the+decorations+for+the+Comics+theme.+

Andrew McArthur

Junior Hall awaits for the decorations for the Comics theme.

Andrew McArthur, Staff Writer

Believe it or not, our annual Deck the Halls that kicks off what is now being called Wildcat Madness is right around the corner.

However, this year there are a few controversial changes. The themes for Deck the Halls are typically decided by each class. This year, however there were several themes for Deck the Halls that were placed in a hat, and someone from each class pulled one out, and whatever they pulled determined the theme for their hall.

The themes that were chosen this year included: Glow in the Dark, Halloween, Favorite Candies, and Comics.

Why the change? According to Katalin Grooms, student council adviser, “Things have always been the same, and we decided that we should try and mix things up a bit!” That why they changed the name of “Winter Carnival” to “Wildcat Madness.”

Emma Kohlbacher ‘19 says, “ It’s definitely going to be interesting to see what everyone comes up with. One of the themes this year is Glow in the Dark. It’s not only going to be a little difficult to put everything together, and make the entire hall glow in the dark. It’s also going to be quite expensive!” she added.

Gabrielle Jandreau ’18, Student Council president claims that she isn’t too pleased with how Deck the Halls is going this year. “I honestly don’t think that the Glow in the Dark theme is going to work out, it’s just too expensive, and also time consuming.”

Student Council member Libby Moreau ‘20 states, “Each class should be able to pick out what theme they want so that everyone gets a say and everyone ends up happy.”

“I’ve heard a lot of different comments made by our seniors about Deck the Halls this year, some good, and some bad. However, I’m positive that each class will get creative and pull something together!” said Kathy Peary, senior class adviser.