Breaking news: your email app awaits

Makayla White

Emphasizing how emails are left unread and how in today’s world social media is taking over.

Makayla White, Staff Writer

If you’re reading this right now and you’re aware of the fact that you have more than 50 unread emails, I want you to set this aside, read your emails and then come back and finish reading this.

Wake up call: emails are more important than your Snap streaks, so maybe we should act like it. (I say “we” because I too am completely guilty of neglecting my emails on all devices.)

Sure, we have 24/7 access to doom scrolling. (Doom scrolling is a fun little term for people who procrastinate and self-destruct by scrolling through endless posts on TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.)

Many of us are totally guilty of forgetting that school exists the second we walk out of the doors, which is totally valid by the way. You need you-time, too.

At the same time, we need to hold ourselves accountable. There is plenty that we have to get done to be prepared for school. Oddly enough, a lot of this begins at the email app on your home screen (you know, the little blue one that looks like an envelope.) This little blue icon is a tool that provides 24/7 access to help from your teachers, guidance, admissions offices and even other students. Although you may not need to take advantage of that, they might. People who have a stake in your well-being are emailing important information and events that might concern you.

Now, I’m not targeting anyone specific *cough cough* freshmen *cough cough*, but your email app is kind of important. It’s like a really big deal. I know this is such a senior moment, me telling you how to survive your little high school lives but some of the best advice you’ll receive is CHECK YOUR EMAIL!

It’s not only the freshman who should be concerned. Seniors, we are getting so much information about college and prom and what’s next after this whole thing. We have to stay vigilant! You could be accepted to the college of your dreams right now and have absolutely no clue, because the admissions office sent you an email weeks ago and it’s just sitting there in the cold with all the other poor emails.

Hot tips:
Make folders to organize your email if you can’t stand an overflowing inbox
Try the GMail widget if the Mail widget isn’t doing it for you
Check in on the email once a day – maybe during homeroom. Mr. P sends funny commentary every morning to get you off on the right foot. Enjoy that.

Next time you’re on “The dark side of TikTok,” think to yourself, “What should I really be doing?” Productivity feels good, so earn that satisfying feeling.

Delete all the junk mail and reply to your teachers. I believe in you.