Student Council Dress Sale

First Attempt to Sell Old Dresses

The+aftermath+of+preparing+for+the+dress+sale+last+Sunday.+

Emily Poitras

The aftermath of preparing for the dress sale last Sunday.

Emily Poitras, Staff Writer

On Sunday January 14 the Student Council held a dress sale. Student council member Elizabeth Collins ‘19 wants to let people know that it was not just donations. Fifteen percent of the money from a sale went to the Student Council for selling the dress on consignment, and the rest of the sale went to the student who donated the dress. Even though the advertisements say Student Council, the profit from the fundraiser will go to the school. They will use it for events such as Wildcat Madness (previously known as Winter Carnival). There were a variety of dresses dropped off for the sale; there were even dance costumes. Many also included shoes to match.

“One of the challenges was the weather. We got a lot of calls last week saying that they wanted to drop a dress off but the weather was too bad to drive,” said Collins. On top of this, they had challenges like finding a place to set the event up and getting permission from the school.

The prices ranged anywhere from ten dollars to 350 dollars. There were many people who came by to drop off their dresses and dance costumes. When it came to styles there was no specific trend. There was styles from the 2000’s or later and styles from today.

Gabby Jandreau ‘18, Student Council President, thinks this was a great opportunity for people with a tight budget or low-income to get a dress for prom or the Winter Ball.

“A lot of people think just because they don’t have a lot of money they can’t go to events like prom or the Winter Ball,” Jandreau said. “This sale gave them the opportunity to get nice dresses for cheap.” She completely understands the stress of finding a dress for prom.

Caroline Von Semkov ‘20 thrift shops because it’s cheaper, and she likes to help out local and independent businesses. “It’s a possibility that I would get a prom dress through thrift shopping,” Von Semkov said. “I actually found a prom dress that I really liked through thrift shopping.”

This dress sale not only helped our school and the events that we enjoy, it also helped people who may not have had the chance to buy a dress by a designer or dress shop.