Humans of the Sophomore Class

Abby Harper

Molly Irwin

Abby Harper ‘20

Molly Irwin, Staff Writer

Abby Harper’s favorite class is science. “I like the science class because of Mrs. Gross.”  It is also the subject she loves most in the whole world. Harper also likes science because the sophomore class is participating in the science fair project, the one event she is looking forward to the most. “For my project I want to try something with chemicals, such as pesticides. I want to figure out what the best and different pesticides are for plants,” Harper said.

Harper spent time at the school farm this past harvest break. “I was in a group that picked pumpkins. I learned that the fastest way to load a pumpkin was to toss them into the boxes. After we finished picking them we put them on display and I was named the official ‘pumpkin displayer.’ I placed multiple pumpkins into the shape of a large pumpkin and also a tractor.” Hard work and being outdoors is Harper’s cup of tea.

Outside of school life, Harper has activities she likes to immerse herself in. “I like to paint. It helps me to relax,” Harper said. Harper loves to play games, and she also loves animals. “I love to play with my bunny. My bunny’s name is Chloe. I also enjoy drawing and watching nature documentaries.” She doesn’t enjoy any one color over another, which is one of her individual qualities. When discussing favorite desserts, Harper said, “ My favorite dessert is my dad’s homemade German chocolate cake.”

One thing that distinguishes Harper from many others she says is, “lots of other kids prefer phones and I don’t have a phone…I have no use for one.” Harper describes herself as a “lone wolf” and she’s proud of needing no one but herself. “Most kids don’t like reading books but I do; it’s actually really fun.”

Harper has her own philosophy as well, she says, “Fun and socializing don’t belong together.”