The Student News Site of Presque Isle High School

The Anchor

Breaking News
  • January 18Feb. 1-2 - ASVAB Testing for Grade 10
  • January 18Feb. 2 - Add/Drop Ends
  • January 18Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day
  • January 18March 27 - Jazz Concert-MS/HS Groups (@ PIMS Auditorium)
  • January 18March 25 - 8th Grade Parent Night (@ Auditorium 6:00-7:00PM)
  • January 18March 23 - 2024 Odyssey Nor’Easter Tournament (@Noble High School)
  • January 18March 22 - Inservice-No School
  • January 18March 19-21 - Winter Carnival Events
  • January 18March 18-21 - Rising Sophomore Registration Meetings in Guidance
  • January 18March 17-19 - FBLA Convention

The Anchor

The Anchor

Poll

Have you listened to Taylor Swift's new album?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Anchor Art Showcase: Issue 3

The third issue of the Anchor Art Showcase is here! We’re happy to have received many submissions from the freshman class and see works from obscure genres and distinct styles. Let’s appreciate a diverse range of arts from our finalists and Mrs. Whitten-Smith’s comments.

By Denver Miller ’26

“That kitten is so sweet, you just want to snuggle him. The line work is energetic and expressive – crisp, clean lines have their place but can make a work look static and stiff. This looser use of line makes your work more interesting to look, even for dog-people. The pops of color are fun, as well. You were smart to keep them small as they could have pulled focus from your subject.”

“Ocean” by Mia Brewer ’25

“My goodness – your support (the surface you create your artwork on, in the case your nails) is so small! Zooming in shows an incredible level of detail. . .the negative space lines between limbs, the teeny tiny suction cups! Wow! In the future, when displaying your work, do take care of the finishing details (the messiness left around the cuticles). Little things like this could negatively detract from what would otherwise be superior artistry.”

By Evie Weatherbee ’27

“Wow! There is a lot going on here! Colors, marks, linework, layers, attitudes of characters. It is a visual feast for the eyes. It’s compelling, and second, third, fourth looks reveal more and more rich details. The pops of red sprinkled throughout the work keep the eye moving and exploring your piece.”

“CR-1” by Sadie Tompkins ’27

“Perspective if tough, and you’ve created a convincingly realistic vehicle with so many small details. I can think of several first responders who would really appreciate your having taken the time to so carefully recreate this vehicle as an artwork. Your drawing, in this case, is more than a pleasant way to pass the time creatively – it’s a thank you.”

“Mono-Colored Cat” by Gavin Trombley ‘27

“Photographs of our loved ones, with or without fur, is a great entry into portraiture. Playing with filters can add to the visual story we create when developing our work – the filter you’ve added makes one think that this is a much older photograph. Did you know that we have been taking photos of our cats since the 1840s? Look up the Brighton Cats. You won’t be disappointed.”

Congratulations to all the selected artists and the amazing feedback from Mrs.Whitten-Smith. Please feel free to stop by room 129 to gather your prizes during period 4 or 1st or 2nd lunch. We cannot wait to see more submissions for out next issue of Anchor Art Showcase. Stay tuned.