Humans of PIHS: A Glimpse Into a New World

Bella Quirino ’23 shares her experience of living in Canada.

Julianna Morningstar

“There’s something to be said about being able to walk into a grocery store and run into people you know,” said Quirino ’23.

Julianna Morningstar, Staff Writer

Every human has their own unique story, that has taught them who they are, their strengths and their weaknesses. For sophomore Bella Quirino, her story has led her to the small town of Presque Isle. This town, however, is not all she knows. For one year of her lifetime she moved to America’s north neighbor, Canada. This transition from a close knit community filled with people who all knew each other, to a bigger city than Boston filled with unfamiliar faces was challenging. It was a daily struggle to get to school because if you were late and got stuck behind a train you would potentially be there for 45 minutes. Bella’s dad counted the cars on the train one time and there were more than 200 cars. And when the train made her late for school they understood and excused her tardiness because, “it was a normal thing I guess.” At her all-girls school that required uniforms she felt as an outsider to their culture. It was an experience that was out of her comfort zone, but helped her develop growth.

Living in different parts of the world can teach you a lot about yourself. As Quirino explained, she missed her old school, friends, and community. The small town of Presque Isle had her heart, however. While living in Canada she appreciated how close in proximity she was to her aunt. 

Quirino’s favorite part of living in Canada was visiting with her aunt. They enjoyed the time they had while it lasted because recent times aren’t as forgiving. 

When thinking about the divide caused by the current pandemic, Quirino says, “I hate it.” She is excited for the day in which we are told we can live life normally again. Will we even remember how to do so?