The Student News Site of Presque Isle High School

The Anchor

Breaking News
  • January 18Feb. 1-2 - ASVAB Testing for Grade 10
  • January 18Feb. 2 - Add/Drop Ends
  • January 18Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day
  • January 18March 27 - Jazz Concert-MS/HS Groups (@ PIMS Auditorium)
  • January 18March 25 - 8th Grade Parent Night (@ Auditorium 6:00-7:00PM)
  • January 18March 23 - 2024 Odyssey Nor’Easter Tournament (@Noble High School)
  • January 18March 22 - Inservice-No School
  • January 18March 19-21 - Winter Carnival Events
  • January 18March 18-21 - Rising Sophomore Registration Meetings in Guidance
  • January 18March 17-19 - FBLA Convention

The Anchor

The Anchor

Poll

Have you listened to Taylor Swift's new album?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Making a Maine mark

Presque Isle FFA chapter travels to BIG E in Springfield, MA.
Emily Smith
Chapter president Sam Edgecomb ’25 and chapter reporter Lane Carmichael ’26 pose at the 2023 FFA state convention on May 11 at the University of Maine at Presque Isle. Edgecomb placed first in AG science fair, and Carmichael placed first in creed speaking. They will both travel to Big E and Nationals this fall.

The PIHS FFA chapter will attend the Big E in West Springfield, Mass September 14-16. The chapter will bring 16 students, most of whom have won a competition at the state level and are now looking to win at the Big E, which hosts all the FFA chapters in New England. Not only is this an opportunity for students to be themselves outside of the classroom and explore their leadership, agribusiness, public speaking and agricultural skills, it is an opportunity to earn scholarships for college. For example, the top four contestants will receive cash prizes for placing in the public speaking event. 

This is the first time in recent years members from Presque Isle high school’s FFA chapter have traveled to Big E as a group. Sam Edgecomb ’25 is going to present her science fair project, which has already won at the state competition. She is the president this year of the Presque Isle High School FFA chapter. “I want to show what Maine people can offer,” Edgecomb said. “FFA isn’t just something you can go do to get out of class, it is our future.”

The chapter will leave Thursday, September 14 and will return on Saturday.