The Student News Site of Presque Isle High School

The Anchor

Breaking News
  • January 18Feb. 1-2 - ASVAB Testing for Grade 10
  • January 18Feb. 2 - Add/Drop Ends
  • January 18Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day
  • January 18March 27 - Jazz Concert-MS/HS Groups (@ PIMS Auditorium)
  • January 18March 25 - 8th Grade Parent Night (@ Auditorium 6:00-7:00PM)
  • January 18March 23 - 2024 Odyssey Nor’Easter Tournament (@Noble High School)
  • January 18March 22 - Inservice-No School
  • January 18March 19-21 - Winter Carnival Events
  • January 18March 18-21 - Rising Sophomore Registration Meetings in Guidance
  • January 18March 17-19 - FBLA Convention

The Anchor

The Anchor

Poll

Are you going to prom parade?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Where did the light go?

A closer look at the eclipse
Sam Edgecomb
Why is it so dark? The moon completely covered the sun in the totality of the solar eclipse. The totality occurred at 3:32 p.m. “The pink flare we saw during the eclipse is 3 times the diameter of our Earth,” Mrs. Gamblin said. The next eclipse in North America will be in 2044.

On April 8, 2024 there was a solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is when the moon completely covers the sun. It started at 2:40 p.m. and ended at 4:40 p.m. It was in its totality at 3:32 p.m. There were events at multiple local spots, including UMPI and Riverside Park.

Our town was packed.

What did students think about this? “The eclipse was so interesting, because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, and lots of people didn’t even get to witness it,” Sam Edgecomb ’25 said.

Where did people watch the eclipse besides the events in town? Could you get a good view from your backyard? “I watched it in my backyard because everywhere else is so crowded,” Peyton Davenport ’26 said.

As it turns out, not everyone took interest in this event despite all the talk about it and the free glasses that were given out at school. Jacob Hafford ’25 slept through the eclipse. “If I woke up on time I would’ve watched it, but it wasn’t a big deal,” Hafford said.

If you still aren’t exactly sure what to do with your glasses, do not throw them away. Mrs. Gamblin is collecting them to send to another place in the world. Latin America will soon experience a solar eclipse in August of this year. Donations can be made in an envelope to Mrs. Gamblin in the Second Chances room by the cafeteria.