The Student News Site of Presque Isle High School

The Anchor

Breaking News
  • January 18Feb. 1-2 - ASVAB Testing for Grade 10
  • January 18Feb. 2 - Add/Drop Ends
  • January 18Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day
  • January 18March 27 - Jazz Concert-MS/HS Groups (@ PIMS Auditorium)
  • January 18March 25 - 8th Grade Parent Night (@ Auditorium 6:00-7:00PM)
  • January 18March 23 - 2024 Odyssey Nor’Easter Tournament (@Noble High School)
  • January 18March 22 - Inservice-No School
  • January 18March 19-21 - Winter Carnival Events
  • January 18March 18-21 - Rising Sophomore Registration Meetings in Guidance
  • January 18March 17-19 - FBLA Convention

The Anchor

The Anchor

Poll

Have you listened to Taylor Swift's new album?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Is there such a thing as “too early”

What do PIHS students think about decorating early for Christmas?
Kathryn Murchison
Jingle bells ring early. PlHS students are split between decorating for Christmas early or late. Do you think it’s best to decorate for holidays as they come, or jump ahead to another?

Now that Halloween is behind us, the next major holiday is Thanksgiving. Unfortunately for some, the holiday is completely ignored when it comes to decorating.

Christmas on the other hand, is the most popular holiday in America. 

This poll has ended.

Is it too early for Christmas decorations?

As of late on social media, it’s a constant argument between when the tree should go up. December 1? After Thanksgiving? Or as soon as Halloween is over? Some use the time before Thanksgiving for buying and planning decor. We will decorate as soon as the decorations come, whether that’s before or after Thanksgiving. Others swear by letting themselves digest a Thanksgiving feast before hanging the mistletoe. 

So why do so many Americans decide on decorating early? According to “Today,” there may be more to the early decorating than happiness or nostalgia. The theory: Americans decorate so early because of business corporations. With the many offers, ads, deals and videos, Americans feel an urge to decorate. Shoppers may feel that by the time Christmas is closer, deals and items will be gone.

Studies have shown that early Christmas decorating can actually make a person happier. “It does create that neurological shift that can produce happiness,” psychologist Deborah Serani shared on “Today.” 

“I decorate the first week of November because it makes me happy and surfaces warm memories from my childhood,” Kacie Marston ’25 said. 

“I decorate before Thanksgiving, because I feel like after Halloween is the start of the holiday season, it’s fun,” Emerson Miller ‘26.

Other families wait until after Thanksgiving, keeping out their pumpkins and other autumn decorations. “I decorate after Thanksgiving because I procrastinate decorating, though I plan my decorations before,” Fiona Wu ’25 said.

“We decorate after Thanksgiving because I feel like it’s too early to decorate for Christmas before. The weekend after Thanksgiving is the perfect time to decorate,” Benjamin Willey ’25 said.