The Student News Site of Presque Isle High School

The Anchor

Breaking News
  • January 18Feb. 1-2 - ASVAB Testing for Grade 10
  • January 18Feb. 2 - Add/Drop Ends
  • January 18Feb. 2 - National Wear Red Day
  • January 18March 27 - Jazz Concert-MS/HS Groups (@ PIMS Auditorium)
  • January 18March 25 - 8th Grade Parent Night (@ Auditorium 6:00-7:00PM)
  • January 18March 23 - 2024 Odyssey Nor’Easter Tournament (@Noble High School)
  • January 18March 22 - Inservice-No School
  • January 18March 19-21 - Winter Carnival Events
  • January 18March 18-21 - Rising Sophomore Registration Meetings in Guidance
  • January 18March 17-19 - FBLA Convention

The Anchor

The Anchor

Poll

Have you listened to Taylor Swift's new album?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Aroostook County does it different

Students reflect on what working harvest break means to them
  • Home is where the fields are.

• Kathryn Murchison ‘25 ran the conveyor belt levers and switches.

• Juniors Kathryn Murchison and Brooklyn McIntyre spend long days sorting potatoes on the conveyor.

• Juniors Brooklyn and Bailee McIntyre and Olivia Goodine made friends with migrant workers and improved on their limited Spanish.

• This was one of the many loads of potatoes at Irving Farms.

• The long line of conveyors that Brooklyn is sorting, lead to the piles of potatoes within the potato house.

• One of the many potato houses at Irving Farms.

• Before potatoes make their way to the pile, they’re sprayed with preserving sprays.

• The big crew of people work together to sort the potatoes the cleanest.

• Olivia Goodine ‘25 inspects a potato at Irving Farms.

From September 18 to October 6, Presque Isle high school closed for the annual Harvest Break. During this break, PIHS students and staff get the chance to help farmers in Aroostook County during the fall season. 

Unlike other school breaks, this “vacation” is mainly for work. Students insert themselves into fast-paced, difficult work environments. “During harvest I woke up at 5:40 everyday. While I was at work, I stood right by the conveyor belt, picking out rotten potatoes, rocks and anything that shouldn’t have been in there,” Porter Farms employee Neve Guerrette ’25 said. “It was exhausting on the legs and could get boring, but I earned good money and learned a good work ethic.”

Students may do a variety of things at different farms, from conveyor work at potato houses to driving trucks. “I racked and moved equipment around and wheeled the double stinger around,” Josiah Kierstead ’24 said. Kierstead worked for Crown Farms in Presque Isle. 

Many county students prefer the three week vacation over regular school weeks. “I prefer working harvest for sure,” Hemphill Farms employee Addison Hafford ’25 said. The amount of money earned in just three weeks often makes up for the long hours. “Harvest pays, school doesn’t,” Kierstead said. 

After working harvest, students feel a sense of community and a strengthened connection within Aroostook County. “We have something that differs from other counties and states,” Irving Farms employee Bailee McIntyre ’25 said. “Harvest break displays the uniqueness of our county.”

Each year, after harvest wraps up, a student survey is conducted to every student in Presque Isle high school. While the results for this year are still being tabulated, last years results prove how “hard working” the school really is. After receiving last years results, out of the 468 students surveyed, 67 did agricultural work, and 144 worked in a non-agricultural field. They totaled a number of around $183,456 (this only includes students who worked agricultural work).

View Comments (1)