Presque Isle Defeats CAHS Girls Varsity Soccer Team

The Presque Isle Wildcats played the Central Aroostook Panthers Thursday, beating them 1-0.

Jack Boone

Presque Isle Wildcats running sideline to sideline after an exciting win.

Jack Boone, Staff Writer

At the Gehrig Johnson Athletic Complex Thursday night, the temperature got down to a bone chilling 30 degrees and tested the players’ ability to stay focused on the game, rather than the cold.

The Wildcats won the first kickoff, kicking it back to the midfielders to clear the ball up the field. They had the first shot on goal and barely let the ball cross onto their side of the field. It seemed like Presque Isle and CA were playing a passing game in the Panthers’ half. The Wildcats had 15 shots on goal in the first half, outshooting the Panthers 15-0, but not taking advantage of any of these opportunities to score.

The Wildcats got things started in the second half by once again having the first shot on goal. With 21:38 to go in the half, sophomore Mia Casavant took advantage of a two-on-one breakaway, scoring in the 18 assisted by freshman Karlyn Gilmour. After her goal, the game slowed down again turning into a back and forth passing drill between teams. CAHS defense fouled senior Rhylee Kinney in the box with 14:45 left to play in the second half. Kinney could not take advantage of the penalty kick, shooting it into the goalie’s hands.

Wildcats defeated CAHS 1-0. This win puts them in position to play Wednesday against the Houlton Shires on November 4.