COVID-19 Outbreak at PIHS Halts in Person Classes Until at least December 14

Multiple positive COVID-19 tests at Presque Isle High School last Friday caused the school and district to shift to remote learning for at least the next week.

Google Maps

After over three and a half months of successful in person schooling, Presque Isle High School was forced to go remote Friday.

Cameron Levasseur, Sports Editor

On Friday December 4, Presque Isle High School shut down by 1 p.m. due to a positive COVID-19 test result in the student body. 

In a memo sent to parents, students, and staff, MSAD 1 Superintendent Ben Greenlaw confirmed that there had been another two positive cases in the day following the first report of a staff member testing positive at Zippel Elementary School, causing the closure of the building around noon time. 

A later memo gave clarity to first, stating that “We have made the decision to shift to remote learning for all students in MSAD #1 through Friday, December 11. We will resume in-person instruction at all MSAD #1 schools, with the exception of Zippel Elementary School on Monday, December 14.  Zippel Elementary School will resume in-person instruction on Wednesday, December 16.”

With the community caseload becoming more dire by the day, MSAD 1 Health Services Director Lisa McKenna once again delivered a reminder via a phone interview on Wednesday on the precautions people should continue to take as the holiday season comes into full swing. “The best thing to reinforce is just to continue to wear masks, socially distance, wash your hands, and be very cautious with any gatherings over the holidays,” Mckenna said. “They really should only be people in their own household.”

In our own student population, where several individuals have tested positive, some students think it would be for the best to remain online until the new year. “I think we should wait and return to school after the holidays if it is safe to do so,” said senior class president Cerena Wu. “Some were contacted later than others and would potentially miss the week we are back anyways. Plus, parents are concerned with the health and safety of their families due to the major increase of cases throughout The County and the state because of community transmission. It would be safer and smarter to have students stay home until after the holidays to stop the spread.”

An official update on the schooling situation will be released from the superintendent’s office on December 10, four days before the scheduled return to in person classes.